Bursary Expenditure at Higher Education Institutions
The amended B-BBEE Codes gazetted 31 May and implemented in Dec 2019 introduced a new scorecard indicator, namely bursaries for black students for theoretical training at accredited and registered higher education institutions. Bursaries include full payment of fees, funding of text books, subsistence or accommodation during the period of study as well as stipends paid to bursary holders.
Skills Development Elements Scorecard Reflecting Amendments
|Category||Skills development element||Weighting points||Compliance target||Amended weighting points||Amended Compliance target|
|2.1.1||Skills Development Expenditure on any programme specified in the Learning Programme Matrix for black people as a percentage of the Leviable Amount.|
|Skills Development Expenditure on Bursaries for Black Students at Higher Education Institutions||Amended||Amended||4||2.5%|
How Can Skills College Help You?
Skills College guides and assists companies to earn the 4 points for bursaries by placing and managing learners on Higher Education bursary programme.
Benefits of the Skills College Higher Education Bursaries
The programme provides the following benefits:
- Cost effective option for the company
- Flexible commencement aligned to the company’s needs and BEE period.
- Assist the company to comply with EAP targets
- Structured for employees or their children or unemployed leaners
- Can include a performance-based incentive or stipend
- Available for a wide range of study fields, and can be aligned to the company’s industry
- Various delivery platforms i.e. distance or a hybrid model combining distance learning with class room sessions
Skills College Higher Education Bursary Services
In an effort to guide and assist companies with the implementation of a bursary programme the following assistance is offered:
- Project management of the project with Skills College managing the entire process from start to finish, including the completion of all the documents on behalf of the company.
- The recruitment of unemployed learners from different geographical locations to align to EAP requirements
- Dealing with the applicants, providing information about the minimum requirements, benefits and explaining the process.
- Offering assistance to the learners during registration and the collation of relevant documentation and contracts.
- Compilation of all the documents required as proof for BEE purposes and for ease of submission by the corporate.
- Ongoing support of learners throughout the duration of the programme
- Give learners access to an App for easy access to various functions
Digital Learner App
Skills College has developed a unique world-class Mobile Application for registered students. The App gives bursary students access to their learning material and skills programme students access to their learner guides and formative assessments. The App is accessed through a personal login. eBooks and handbooks can be downloaded with ease from the App.